Ballyclare Secondary School is a non selective controlled secondary school. We are an all ability, co-educational school for 11 to 18 year olds. It is our ethos that:
“Every child, regardless of intellectual ability or social background, should have a rewarding educational experience.”
Our aim is personal excellence. This is something every child can achieve. The belief in the equal worth of every child is put into practice in our school with every pupil feeling valued as a unique individual.
We want every child:
- to acquire knowledge, skills and practical abilities and the will to use them;
- to develop qualities of mind, body, spirit, feeling and imagination;
- to appreciate human achievement in art, music, science, technology and literature;
- to acquire understanding of the society in which they live and a reasoned set of attitudes, values and beliefs;
- to be prepared for their adult lives at home, at work, at leisure and at large as consumers and citizens;
- to develop above all a sense of self-respect, the capacity to live as independent, self-motivated adults and the ability to function as contributing and caring members of co-operative groups.
School Beliefs And Values
Children learn best when:
- expectations for their intellectual, emotional, social, moral and creative development are high;
- they are given confidence in their own ability;
- they play an active part in their own learning;
- they work co-operatively rather than in competition with one another;
- parents are actively involved in the school, and in their children’s education;
- their own culture and experience is valued.