In selecting children for admission, children resident in Northern Ireland at the time of their proposed admission to the school will be selected for admission before any child not so resident.
In the event of over subscription, the following criteria will be applied in the order set down below in determining those children to be admitted to Year 8:-
- Children whose parent/guardian has indicated a first or second preference for Ballyclare Secondary School.
- Children for whom Ballyclare Secondary School is the nearest controlled secondary school to their parental home. (Note: A straight line on an Ordnance Survey Map will measure the distance from the child’s parental home to the front entrance gate of the school i.e. distance will be measured ‘as the crow flies’.)
- Children who have a brother or sister enrolled at the school as at 1st January 2018.
- Children who have a parent currently employed in the school.
- Children who are the eldest child or only child in the family.
- Children whose parental home address is the closest to the front entrance gate of Ballyclare Secondary School. Distance will be measured as in criterion 2 above.
The Board of Governors will monitor the proportion of successful applications that are on FSME to ensure it fairly reflects its community make-up.
Applicants should be aware that Article 16 of the 1997 Education Order requires that the Board of Governors will provide for children resident in Northern Ireland at the time of their proposed admission to Ballyclare Secondary School to be selected for admission to the school before any child not so resident may be selected for admission.
Applicants should note that they may be required to produce documents verifying their address or information pertinent to the school’s admission criteria.
The above criteria will also apply to applications for admissions after the beginning of the school year in situations where the number of applications exceeds the number of vacant places (if any).
The Board of Governors formulate and review the Admission Criteria whilst the Principal administers the Criteria.
Applications and Admissions
|Year||Admissions||Applications||Appeals Upheld||Total Admissions|