Specification/Exam Board: CCEA
Criteria for Entry:
- There are no entry requirements for Single Award Science; students should carefully consider their teacher’s advice when selecting subjects for KS4 study.
The aims of the course are to encourage students to:
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of the material, physical and living worlds;
- Develop their understanding of the nature of science and its applications and the interrelationships between science and society;
- Develop their understanding of the relationships between hypotheses, evidence, theories and explanations; develop and apply their observational, practical, enquiry and problem-solving skills and understanding in laboratory, field and other learning environments;
- Develop their ability to evaluate claims based on science through critical analysis of the methodology, evidence and conclusions; and
- Develop their skills in communication, mathematics and the use of technology in scientific contexts.
Summary of Course Content
|Single Award Science GCSE|
|Unit 1: Biology|
|Unit 2: Chemistry|
|Unit 3: Physics|
|Unit 4: Practical Skills|
Summary of Assessment
Single Award Science provides a solid foundation in Science. Whilst it does not provide a progression pathway to pure A-level Sciences; it can be used for entry to A-level Life and Health Science as well as a range of Level 3 courses in Further Education.